Loving my future

Loving my future




I crumple the paper in my hand.

This is utter bullshit!

Not thinking twice I throw it into the dustbin before lying back on the bed.

What’s up with my family?

Okay! I know, we have traditions. All families do. But this is insane. Getting some religious people to foretell every member’s future and living your life waiting for that to happen.

Who does that?

And what is the use?

My parents were told that there only daughter, Alicia Spencer, wouldn’t live past her 21st birthday.

Which of course isn’t true. But would they listen? They took care of me like a baby, hiring people to guard me, not aware of the fact that I was ridiculed everywhere I went.

And today grandpa called everyone together for a meeting and handed me a piece of paper with some verses written on it, asking me to keep reciting it in my mind. Cause only God could help me now.

Apparently, I am the only person in the entire family who has been told about such a woeful future.

And my uncle. Uncle John.

He passed away just like it was told.

But couldn’t that just be a coincidence?

I mean, Aunt Lynn was told that she would grow up to be a competitive soul. She was supposed to top her college exams and get the highest paying job in medicine.

 Well! She failed in 7th grade and is sitting at home doing nothing now.

And Ryan was told that he would start going on world tours by the age of 18. He is 27 now. Got married and settled peacefully in our tiny green village, Meadow hills. He hasn’t travelled out of Meadow hills.

So I totally don’t believe this. Who can foretell the future?

It’s decided by God, isn’t it?

My chain of thoughts is interrupted by a soft knock. I prop myself up on my elbows to look.

Grandpa’s tiny head covered in his silver mane peeks in.

“Is my child sleeping?” he asks coming inside.

I sit up immediately, watching him sit on the bed beside me.

“Is my Alicia worried? You are turning 21 within a month.” He asks holding my hand in his wrinkly palms.

“I don’t believe it” I say not facing him.

“I know. I was just like you.”

I turn towards him.

“I didn’t believe it when my future was told. In fact, I was annoyed. I wanted to prove it to them. So when they told me that my wife would die after giving birth to my fifth child, I didn’t listen. I had a choice. But my stubborn mind controlled me. And she died after giving birth to your uncle.”

“So are you saying that I have only one month to live?” I ask, fear gripping me.

“No! What I am saying is that, don’t ignore it. Be careful, whatever you do.”

I nod slowly.

“You are a gem Alicia”, he gets up, “So remember that we want you with us.”

I watch as grandpa turns to go. I gulp. I suddenly realize that I had my nails dug deep into my palm. I slowly relax, ignoring the stinging pain on my skin.

Getting up, I walk towards the cupboard and take out the ancient wooden box. The box had always been in my cupboard, but I had only opened it once.

Sighing, I open it, pull out the scroll and read it.

‘YOU WILL MEET THE ANGEL OF DEATH BEFORE 21. YOUR LIFE DEPENDS ON THAT DAY.’

I shake my head. No way! Nothing is gonna happen.

I quickly put the scroll back in place and shut the cupboard.

I’d rather go for a walk than go crazy sitting here. Grabbing my jacket, I walk out silently.

 I don’t bother to tell mom, because she wouldn’t let me go out if I do. Or worse, she would send someone to accompany me.

Walking down the buzzing market streets calm me down. I find myself sighing in relief.

I stand at the corner looking at the cloth sellers selling their colorful soft cotton clothes. The food stalls are crowded as usual. The soothsayer closes her eyes moving her hands round the crystal ball in a circular motion. I look at the anxious man sitting in front of her, his eyes closed tight, waiting for her to utter those golden words.

And then something catches my eye.

Or rather someone catches my eye!

A tall lean guy, dressed in a black cloak. His upper body is quite visible. Inked with the figures of myths and mysteries, his shoulders look quite strong. And his eyes! Grey and dazzling.

I find myself walking towards him. A sort of magnetic energy pulls me towards him.

But before I could reach, he walks off. I watch in utter disappointment as he disappears in the crowd.

Man! He was so handsome. Must be someone from the city because no one dares to wear something like that in our village.

When I had come back from the city, people used to stare at me, whispering oddly, looking at my clothes. And then I realized that the villagers didn’t like modern clothes and I had to start wearing those cringey long floral gowns.

I walk back home a dark disappointment in my stomach.

As I step back in, Matt comes running up to me, hugging my legs with his tiny arms. I bend down to him.

“Why does my baby look so happy today?” I ask looking at my baby cousin.

“We are going to the woods. Camping!!” he shouts, excitedly, and I can’t help smile.

I go inside to see everyone preparing for the camp. Strangely I don’t feel excited.

But I have no choice. I have to go.

Towards evening, we load the food and necessary materials into the van. It’s hardly a twenty minute walk to the woods, but no one was keen on walking.

As night crawls in, we build the camp.

Laughter and chatter echoes through the pine woods. This is so much fun! One of the perks of being in a joint family!!

But it slowly starts getting tiring.

I slowly walk out from the chaos. Breathing in the fresh air, guided by the moon light, I wander into the woods.

It’s getting colder every moment, but I haven’t got enough of enjoying my solace in the silence.

‘You might freeze to death’, a tiny voice in interrupts my thoughts.

Well! I better go back then. I turn back.

Shit!

Where am I?

It looks similar everywhere. I have no idea which way to go.

God! Is this how I’m gonna die?

Freezing to death! In an isolated forest where no one can find me.

Surely I deserve better! I haven’t been that bad after all.

I walk through the path which seems most likely to lead me back to my family.

There’s not even a trace of moonlight here.

I am doomed!

I freeze. Is that footsteps I hear? Oh! My God! Am I getting kidnapped?

I close my eyes expecting the worst. Shuddering, as a hand touches my shoulder, I turn suddenly ready to attack my kidnapper.

I fight with all I’ve got, wishing that I had taken lessons in martial arts. I try to punch and kick, but two strong hands hold my wrists, pinning them behind me.

“Hey! Stop”

I open my eyes, surprised to see those sparkling grey eyes staring at me.

I stop, just like he told me.

“Are you lost?” he asks.

I’m too amazed to reply. Here is that cute guy from the market, standing right before me, staring at me.

“Hey!” he says, shaking me

“Uh... Yes, I’m lost”

“I know this place very well. I have explored the woods, so I know where to take you.

I let him lead me through those curvy paths.

“Are you from the city?” I ask shyly.

He looks at me, “Yes, I came here for an important work. I’ll be returning soon after I finish it.”

“Where do you stay?”

“In the cottage behind the woods”, he replies.

I hear the familiar laughter and I know that I’ve reached the campsite.

“I’ll leave you here” he says turning towards me.

“Thanks a lot. I’m Alicia. Hope we meet again”, I extend my hand.

He takes it immediately. His palms are ice cold, giving me chills all over.

“And I’m Marcus. Not many people like to meet me again. I’m quite a pain, you see.” he chuckles.

“Oh! I don’t mind that. I’m quite bored in this village.”

He smiles. I look at him one last time before running back to my family.

The next morning, I wake up unusually cheerful.

I’m not quite a romantic person but today I can’t help but say this.

Love is in the air.

I put on my best gown. I open my make up box which I hadn’t opened for quite a while. I glam myself up.

Yes! I’m going to meet Marcus. I must say that my mind has gone a bit blank and dull after staying in this village for a month. Marcus might help brighten it.

I walk down the paddy fields, in the direction of the woods. The path that leads to the cottage is quite dusty and rocky.

From a distance, I see the cottage and I half run-half walk towards it.

“Here to see me?” Marcus’ voice takes me by surprise.

I turn back to see him walking towards me.

“I was just about to head out. And then I saw you. Let’s go”, he says grabbing hold of my hand.

I follow him. We walk past the fields and meadows. We finally reach an orchard. The fragrance of the plums hit my nose and I take a deep breath.

“My favorite place in this whole village”, he says, a smile playing on his lips.

“It’s beautiful!”

We sit on a bench.

“So, I’m guessing that you are from the city.” He says handing me a plum.

“I am. I was studying there. But my dad went abroad and my mom and I had to shift back here. So no more city life I guess.”

“Well! I prefer villages.”

“Try living here for more than a month. You’ll go crazy.”

“Haha! I agree that a few people are quite orthodox. They keep passing comments at my tattoos and dressing style. But I’m gonna focus on the positive stuff.”

I giggle.

“Glad that you are here. I was quite bored.” he says getting up, “Let’s go explore places.”

“I would love to.”

I return home that evening, my brain dizzy with laughing so much. I can’t believe that I hadn’t explored the most beautiful places of this village before. I go to my room grabbing my journal along with me.

Opening it, I hold the pen in place, wanting to write the entire adventure that I had today.

But the only words I write are,

I guess I’m falling in love with you, Marcus.

I slightly gasp at what I had written, but I am not overwhelmed.

I like him. It’s a fact.

And he likes me back too. I saw it in his eyes.

Marcus’ parents died when he was quite young and his grandmother raised him. He looks quite decent. And he’s funny as well. I’m sure dad would like him too.

I know it is quite too soon. I just met him today. But I’m just thinking. No harm done.

As days pass, I fall for him more and more. And I’m sure he feels the same, even though he hasn’t told me.

I sit with him on the rock, my legs swinging knee deep inside the stream.

“Tomorrow is my birthday”, I blurt out.

“Worried?” he asks. I had told him about how my future was foretold and that I would die before turning 21. He had agreed with me then, and said that I shouldn’t believe in such stories.

“No”, I reply, “I’m not worried any more. In fact I don’t even think about it.”

He smiles.

“Will you gift me something tomorrow?” I ask expectantly.

“Of course! I have already got it prepared.”

As the orange dyed sun is about to set, I walk back home slowly.

The only thing that goes through my mind is Marcus.

His smile.

His grey eyes.

His brown locks.

Wait! Is that Marcus?

I am too surprised as I see Marcus, shirtless walking from the opposite side.

The moment his eyes fall on me, I hear a loud honk.

I feel myself hitting something forcefully. Painfully!

The next moment, I lay on the road, blood all around me.

My vision is blurred.

I can barely make out the crowd around.

I see him through the stinging pain.

His eyes are fixed on mine.

His face expressionless.

He kneels down beside me, brushing my hair aside.

“Don’t worry” he whispers

I feel his warm breath as his strong arms carry me.

“M-Marcus?” I whisper through my pain.

“I didn’t want to do this. But you fell in love with me and so did I. This is my gift”

And then the thought comes rushing to me.

Alas! I should have believed it when my future was foretold.

I had fallen in love with the Angel of Death. And it was too late to regret.


By Omnipoten
Selesai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Omnipoten

Featured post

Melihat Melalui Mata yang Berbeda

Melihat Melalui Mata yang Berbeda Aku melihat melalui matamu. Dan ketika saya melakukannya, dunia semuanya biru, ungu dan hijau. Warnanya s...