Time to let go

Time to let go.




Leo's POV

I look around the old and dead yard as the men around me ruin everything I made for myself, everything I ever loved, and my life. They yell at each other like cavemen fighting over who gets the girl. They scream about what should go where and who is supposed to do that. I look down at the tattered green and yellow box I'm holding in my old and wrinkly hands. Slowly I open it, looking at the contents, I let out a long and shaky sigh. I have a picture of my late wife laying on top of the rest of the objects, she is smiling at the camera in a beautiful pink sundress with tropical flowers.

I look around again and this time I'm looking at my wife. She's laughing, and in my hands, I hold a camera instead of the box. She says to me "Babe! Look," She points over the mountain at the red, orange, and pink sunset. I smile and take a picture. I blink and I'm back in the yard. Looking back at the box I look at the golden necklace that I gave her on our 25th anniversary. It's engraved with the date we got married and her initials 'ST'. Picking it up I smile sadly. I look up and once again I see my wife smiling at me, our kids and grandkids surround us in the living room. She turns around, her long grey hair flowing over her shoulders, to let me put the necklace on her and I smile to myself.

Blinking out of the memory I pick up her wedding ring, I was always unable to fit it on my own finger. She had such nimble hands, she was able to sew and do hair so well, she even had her own hair and clothes store. I look up and again I'm in a memory of her, our daughter Elena is sitting down getting ready for her play as her mommy helps her. My wife looks at me with that signature toothy smile. Her fingers weave through Elenas' hair with ease slowly braiding it to the little girls liking. I say to our daughter in a smooth and silky voice "Well, don't you look like a princess." She giggles smiling with wide eyes before saying "Thank you, papa." And I reply with a "De nada." and then leave to let them get ready.

I blink out of the memory and pick up a little tarnished light blue baby shoe, of our first child, out of the box and hold it up in the air allowing the sun to engulf it in a shiny embrace. I look up once more to see our family surrounding us as my mother opens the tiny gift bag. She gasps as she pulls out a blue left baby sneaker. She looks at me and then at my wife, with her hand over her mouth she says with excitement "Oh my goodness, are you for real?!" I nod my head as she engulfs me and then my wife in a bear hug. later that night we lay in bed, I look over at my wife who by this time is knocked out and I lay my hand on her slowly growing stomach.

I blink out of the happy memory and sigh slowly closing the lid and bending down. I put the box down in the dirt. taking a handful of soil, I let it fall on top of the box. I watch as the box slowly disappears as I add more and more dirt. A tear falls from my face and lands square in the middle of the mound of dirt. I stand up, dusting my knees off, and make my way to my car. I take one more look at the destruction before me and I get into the car. Starting the car I settle in and let my mind go free in the depths of my memories.

As I get closer to my destination I hear a voice coming from the back of my car. I look into the rearview mirror to see my wife smiling at me, her hair is done up in a low ponytail, she is wearing her favorite white lace dress and her white flats. She says to me with a voice full of passion and love "Mi Amor, Siempre te amaré, hasta la luna y de regreso, hasta el fin del Universo y más allá." She smiles one last time. I smile back saying "I will love you always my sweet angel." as she slowly fades away and I look back at the road as tears blur my vision.

Pulling into the driveway of my new house, I put the car in park and lean back with a deep exhale. I look over the house it has everything the house did except one major thing. The love of my life. I turn off the car and get out. Walking to the front door I grab for my keys. Opening the door I hear my kids yelling at my grandkids to do something or the other. I yell out for everyone to come into the kitchen. I make my way into the kitchen to wait, as my son Ralph and his wife Denise, along with their kids make their way into the kitchen and sit down I grab my own chair to sit in. Elena and her husband Kelly make their way into the room and sit down, waiting for me to start.

I say aloud "I have finally buried the capsule, And 10 years from now I want every single one of you in this room to go down to our old house and unbury it." They all nod in agreement. That night I lay in my bed and slowly fall asleep.


The narrator's pov.

The next day he was reported dead. He died in his bed with his wife's picture on his chest. It was facing downward which suggests that that was the last thing he saw before his death.


By Omnipoten
Selesai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Omnipoten

Featured post

Melihat Melalui Mata yang Berbeda

Melihat Melalui Mata yang Berbeda Aku melihat melalui matamu. Dan ketika saya melakukannya, dunia semuanya biru, ungu dan hijau. Warnanya s...