The Ones I Truly Loved

The Ones I Truly Loved.




I have a friend, Angela. My best friend. We grew up together, did everything together, graduated from the same college, got married to the same man.

It wasn't planned. We've always loved each other and wanted the same thing but I took it a notch up higher. I wanted the same man she had but she was the one that got the ring. I was truly happy for her but happier that she found the kind of man we both wanted.

She got pregnant with her first child and I knew I had to come in. I had to fill in the gap and keep him company. The husband. We had a good time. Went for beautiful vacations, made good love.

But I love my best friend so I'd always let Bliss be with her too. I always did check up on her too.

She delivered a beautiful baby girl the next month after our last vacation and named her Ezi enyim (my good friend).

Still a good friend, I was always there for her when she needed me. Whenever she had a rift with her husband, I always make sure he comes home to apologize to her but that's right after we've made good love.

I'll always do anything for Angela.

The daughter turned one and we had our girls day out. The coolest we've ever had. We're had a good time at the picnic and we took beautiful pictures and also bought gifts for each other. I also got beautiful gifts for my God- daughter; Ezi enyim.

At my job, I did well too because I was happy. Because everyone was happy. Our company had to train some staff and I was picked. It was a one- week training. I was going to leave the people I love behind, for a while.

"I'll be living for South Africa", I told Angela on our last girls night out.

"You really need this, you deserve everything good. You've really worked hard for it. My family will miss you and Ezi enyim will miss you more."

Smiling, I held her hand.

"You know I named her after you, my good friend", she continued. "You've been a blessing to me and I pray that good things always happen for you. You'll also find the man of your dreams, someone who will love you like my faithful husband."

"You mean our faithful husband. He's mine too you know", I laughed. She laughed too.

We've always joked about sharing things together but she didn't know this wasn't one of the jokes. We both shared Bliss. We both made sensual love to the same man that we both loved.

Our flight landed at the international airport. We were to train in Cape town. Hotel booked. Meetings scheduled. Got to my hotel room and there he was. my own man, Bliss.

"I know I've always wanted to be with you. And here I am, away from a woman that I pledge to love and protect. I had to lie that I'll be traveling for a business meeting."

Starring at him, shocked, "This is really a pleasant surprise!", I hugged him.

Lips locked instantly, we kissed. Felt a knot in my stomach. Having him Inside me was all I needed. Hormones surging through the veins, clothes flying across the room and with a smooth sliding, he was already inside me, thrusting, my nipples gently sucked, we rode to the highest heavens.

He stayed with me till day four and had to travel to travel back to Lagos, Nigeria.

The 6'o clock news the following morning read that there was a plane crash which killed the passengers and Bliss was on it. Bliss is dead. I confirmed he travelled on the plane.

I became disoriented, my heart taut and my world came crashing.

If he was to leave the earth, Angela's face should be his last memory, not mine. She was still his wife and she's still my best friend.

"Bliss is dead. Kamsi, Bliss is dead", Angela's voice trailed off on the phone. She sobbed. I couldn't bring myself to comfort her. Her cry made my bones weak and frail.

"I'll be with you and Ezi enyim tomorrow, sweetheart. Stay strong for our baby. She needs you."

I touched down at Murtala Muhammed Airport.

Angela's mum called me. Angela plunged her car into the river and died. She died after she found out that Bliss and I were together before he died. I had betrayed her. I only thought we could share something we both loved.

Now, I've lost the love of my life. I've lost my best friend. 

My best friend's mum sent me Ezi enyim's picture with the caption, "A girl whom you betrayed her mother. A girl whom you took away the lives of the people who gave her life. Thank you."

I cried like my soul has been taken away from me. My heart writhed in pain.

I took a taxi to my favorite hotel to cool off, resigned from my job. I needed to dissappear. I knew the world wouldn't be kind enough to understand me. My only crime was to love the man my heart craved for. My best friend's husband.

I looked at the pictures of those who I once loved. The pictures Bliss and Angela, smiling at me. Bliss's favourite gift to me on my neck. Angela's last letter to me starring at me. At the end of the letter, she called me the best friend she could ever have and yet, I turned out to be the worst. I could hear her voice, demanding for an explanation.

They had promised never to stop loving each other but she had taken her life.

Bliss broke his own promise the day he died. She could have kept her own promise but she couldn't because in death, emotions do not exist.

I knew their memories would hurt me for life and because I needed to feel the pain of loss, I printed a picture of Bliss and Angela, Angela carrying my God- daughter; Ezi enyim, who had a beautiful smile on her face. I placed it in a time capsule and buried it in my backyard at my new place.

I needed the future to remember the ones I truly loved.


By Omnipoten
Selesai

No comments:

Post a Comment

Informations From: Omnipoten

Featured post

Melihat Melalui Mata yang Berbeda

Melihat Melalui Mata yang Berbeda Aku melihat melalui matamu. Dan ketika saya melakukannya, dunia semuanya biru, ungu dan hijau. Warnanya s...